12.14.2012

moar stop motionnn

I have a terrible habit of posting lengthy and sporadically... but here's some more process photos from my stop-motion project that I finished! I'll post the finished film in a separate post after this.

Lamby

I wanted the ears to be able to bounce and move as she danced, so I pasted in wire ears into her head with jb kwik, covered it with black wrap, then wrapped sports tape to keep the black wrap secure.

I then painted her in so that the wood wouldn't show through the fur that I was going to cover her with. I had to form her nose a little with propoxy to give it better shape. Her eyes were just beads I found on a necklace that I painted with black nail polish. I molded in more propoxy to keep it in place.



PANTS! These were really tough. I wanted it to fit her really well, but I also wanted it to stretch so that I wouldn't run into any problems when I animated her. I made a rough pattern and sewed her up alright- but I realized that the type of thread I was using was too strong for the stretchy fabric I was using. I ended up sewing in an awkward diamond shaped piece of fabric into her crotch area. Next time I make pants like these I should try something that's more flexible...

I really wanted her to have an oversized jacket. I found some tacky fabric that my friend gave me a long time ago, and made a vest first- sliced it down the middle, and then glued a hem as well as sewed in the sleeves. I shaped the sleeves around her arms, then sewed her in- which was a lot easier since I made her arms replaceable.

I had no idea how to shape a fitted top like this- so I found this gold ribbon lying around in my room and just pasted it around her bust with some barge glue (it's more flexible than hot glue, and it dries quicker than fabric glue).  

This was my freak out moment- I realized that as I was felting her with wool, the wool would cover her nose and eventually make her face twice as big as I intended... so I had to perform some surgery and shave her jaw down and give her a massive nose job. I was a little worried at first, but it turned out okay in the end.  

It wouldn't be the 80's without an oversized bow :^)

Robby

Robby's head was super simple- no explanation necessary. A couple of coats of black and white acrylic and it was done.

I was originally going to latex his arms- but since I was pressed for time and I also wanted to make him look more in theme with Lamby I felted him as well. 


I made Robby's pants pretty easily- I wanted him to look skinny and nerdy so I didn't have to do much shaping. I did take too long with the sewing, I admit. I wanted these to look like real pants. 


The shirt took me a few tries. I made a pattern, but I was having a lot of difficulty with the sleeves and collar. I kind of improvised on the sleeves- and I used the existing hem on the fabric to make the collar heh heh heh. 

I made felt shoes and put some felt around his collar to bring everything together. I took the head that I made from last year (from Dance Robot Dance) and put more pizazz~






The Set


So here are the walls- I put Robby there to give sense of the scale. It's basically two pieces of 4-ply wood that's been covered with gesso. I glued on foam rectangles for those high school wall pad thingys.  I glued wood pieces, then screwed some L frames to the back of the walls so that I could move the walls around when needed.

I don't have alot of images of the base board- but it was pretty simple- just painted a wood board I found in studio with gesso and acrylic. the black lines were just masking tape. To make it shiny I sprayed this acrylic gloss I found in that "flammable" yellow cabinet in the photo :P




I shared my space with Jane (lookit her castle~!):

And Ana (can you spot Bertie?):
It was really tight, so I was glad that Jane was able to finish her animation early so I could animate mine more comfortably... orz Thanks Jane~


1 comment: